ONE HOLLOW N ONE SOLID CYLINDER OF SAME RADIUS R ROOLING DOWN AN INCLINED PLANE. WHICH OF THE FOLLEWING WILL REACH THE END OF PLAIN FIRST.......PLZ XPLAIN
Let me just guide you.
Assumptions that i am making :-
1) Incline is having friction (let COF=mu).
2) Masses of both the cylinders are same.
1) Find the friction force acting in the two cases.
2) Calculate the torque due to the two frictional forces.
3) Equate the torques to I*alpha.
4)open alpha as a/r.
5)Find a from there.
Shortcut trick :- Body with greater moment of inertia will have less alpha( and if their dimensions are same then even linear acceleration).
So, it is the solid cylinder who will be emerging as the winner.
If you have any doubts ask again and i shall give you the entire steps.
Preparing for JEE?
Kickstart your preparation with new improved study material - Books & Online Test Series for JEE 2014/ 2015
@ INR 5,443/-
For Quick Info
Find Posts by Topics