To all the aspiring young engineers in India and elsewhere, the name Indian Institute of Technology means only one thing - the best quality, world-class engineering education. Many students have fulfilled their dreams of gaining admission into an IIT by traveling the path to success through sustained, grueling intellectual hard work, regardless of their background, status and place of origin.
Under-Graduate and Dual Degree Programmes
Each year, the prestigious and most difficult Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), held for selecting students into the IIT system, is attempted by over 125 thousand candidates, and there are only a few thousand seats available in the system. Admissions to the 4-year B.Tech programme and the 5-year dual-degree, i.e. combined B.Tech and M.Tech, programmes are held annually. JEE consists of three test papers - physics, chemistry and mathematics. It enjoys the reputation of being the tough and well organized competitive examination in the world. The questions require responses that involve intricate and creative thought, and a sound foundation in physics, mathematics & chemistry.
The key to gaining admission into an IIT is to make the best use of the resources around you. Most schools have adequate resources that can help you build a strong intellectual foundation.
The key factors for success are:
- Intelligence - numeric, logical and scientific
- Intellectual Stamina
- Access to learning resources
- A supportive family and friends
These factors definitely enable aspirants to prepare effectively for the JEE and eventually attain success. You may be wondering if the IITs themselves provide any coaching. The answer to your question is "No". IIT does not provide any instructions as coaching for students who will be taking JEE.
However, for students belonging to the specially notified categories (SC/ST), a one-year preparatory programme is offered at IIT Madras. A selected set of students from these categories who do not directly qualify in the JEE in their first attempt, will be given an opportunity to spend one year at IIT Madras and undergo the preparatory course. Upon successful completion of this preparatory course, these students will be admitted into the first year of the B Tech or Dual-degree programmes, without having to take the JEE a second time.
For admissions into the post-graduate programmes (M.Tech., M.Sc., and MBA), and research programmes (M.S. and Ph.D.), the Institute uses the results of appropriate national examinations such as the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), the Joint Admission Test to M.Sc. (JAM), and the Joint Management Entrance Test (JMET). Various Departments and Centers of the Institute offer a large variety of specialized PG programmes.
IIT Madras attracts regular students from all over India and the nearby region, and exchange students from several other countries including USA, Germany, France, Switzerland, Japan, and some countries in Africa. There are approximately 4800 under-graduate, graduate and research students in our campus.
Educational and Campus Infrastructure at IIT Madras
The Institute has a beautiful and enchanting campus, being located in a large part (about 650 acres) of the Guindy forest in Southern Chennai. The self-contained campus atmosphere stimulates intellectual and other constructive pursuits, and a host of facilities are available for supporting all activities. The educational infrastructure includes:
- State-of-the-art electronic classrooms, lecture halls and conference halls,
- Hi-tech laboratories and workshops,
- One of the largest, electronically linked libraries with the latest learning resources in technology, engineering, science, management, and the humanities and social sciences, and
- The best and most powerful computing facilities.
Work is nearing completion to make ours the world's finest electronic campus. Students are expected to be in residence in one of the over dozen hostels, which have well-equipped rooms, mess halls, and recreation facilities.
The Institute strongly encourages and supports overall development of students and members of the campus community through the provision of various facilities and the organization of many programmes. The facilities include:
- An Olympic standard swimming pool,
- A well-equipped and large fitness center (with trained coaches),
- A stadium (athletics, track and field, cricket),
- Playgrounds (cricket, hockey, football), sports courts (tennis, basketball, volleyball, ball badminton), and a roller skating rink,
- An indoor sports and arts complex (the Student Activities Center),
- An open air theater (the legendary OAT),
- A hobby club,
- A multi-utility center (with a departmental store, Xerox facility, telephone/fax facility, laundry, saloon, internet center, and an open air snack shack),
- Two full-fledged multi-cuisine restaurants (operated by popular chains), and
- A memorabilia center (operated by a popular chain)
- A shopping center,
- Branches of two nationalized banks with widely spread ATM facilities,
Additionally, the Institute Gymkhana supports a host of activities - outdoor (all popular outdoor sports, hiking and trekking, mountaineering, etc.) and indoor (all popular indoor sports, music, dramatics, other performing and visual arts). There are also special interest groups that make the Film Society, Photography Club, the Astronomy Club, the Bridge Club, the Music Club and so on. The Film Club screens for its members popular regional and English films every weekend in the OAT.
- Extra mural lectures (delivered by the most reputed, respected and accomplished national and international personalities belonging to different walks of life - scientists, artists, philosophers, journalists, sports stars, medical experts, political stalwarts, spiritual masters, and so on),
- Concerts, and
- Training programmes (conducted by well-known trainers or training organizations).
The annual technical festival, Shaastra, and the annual cultural festival, Saarang, are most popular, and are eagerly awaited every year among youth in our country. During these festivals the audience is treated to unusual and enriching experiences.
For the religiously or spiritually inclined there are three temples, and periodically held prayer meetings/discourses of and for people belonging to different denominations.
Open access, high utilization, regular maintenance and upgradation, and an aesthetic sense, mark the facilities in our campus. There is an all-pervading spirit of excellence in all pursuits.
Summer and Career Placement:
The Institute's Placement Cell organizes summer and career placement activities for all eligible students. The Institute's global reputation induces the best companies - multinational and national, large and small - to come in and recruit the finest fresh talent for their competitive edge. The record of campus placements in IIT Madras presents benchmarks for institutions in India.